Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Seed of Inspiration

Today I had a conversation with Dave Ferber, a friend from Millis, MA who worked together with me for several years in the 1990s.  Dave planted the initial inspirational seed in my mind for taking on this journey.  Dave and his lovely wife, Flo, cycled from Massachusetts to Florida before I met him, and when I heard the story I was amazed that someone would embark on such a long bicycle ride.  Dave's eyes would light up when he recounted the ride with fondness. Dave's health has been a challenge over the past few years dealing with cancer, strokes, a triple bypass, and dialysis. While he can't exercise as in his heyday, today Dave and Flo took a short bike ride to a local park and truly enjoyed it! I'm sure the ride brought back those great memories. Dave remains an inspiration.

We also talked about my upcoming trek and he shared some advice and a few details about mileage, and mountains, and flats, and then he commented:

 "You'll enjoy it, you'll never forget that ride" 

 Keep on riding, Dave and Flo. Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment