Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Day 19 - To Springfield, MO

Things went much better today, no breakdowns, no detours. Still traveling RT 66.  We'll miss it when we have to head more easterly after St Louis.  The beginning of today's ride was interesting as it brought is down what seemed to be side streets and small winding roads.  I also missed a turn, which wasn't marked and had to navigate an alternate route to stay on track.  The GPS apps on the iPhone have been extremely useful for navigation.

We ended up in Springfield, MO for a total of 76 miles.  Here's the link to the map of today's ride. I was considering riding further but there were no hotels after Springfield. 

When we ended today's ride RJ, a college student, approached me and thanked me for riding for MS. He is a SAG support vehicle volunteer for an MS ride in Colorado each year.  Two of his extended family members have MS, we had a good chat. 

Need to get some sleep now.  Good night my friends.  All is well.










RJ The SAG Guy

1 comment:

  1. Dave how you feeling? Your blog is great and I can't imagine what it must be like traveling cross country on a bike especially on Route 66! Thanks for sharing all your great stories to date and give Claire my regards - Again, you're THE MAN! ~Vic

    ReplyDelete