Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Day 21 - St. Clair MO

Today was one of the better days of this journey.  No breakdowns, not even a flat tire!  James Wilson did a great job on my bike yesterday. The weather was good, and the north east headwinds are still hanging on for most of today.  This morning we did take a wrong turn and got a little lost and had to back track.  Lots of hills today as we went through the National Forest.  Missouri actually has some mountains, which I wasn't expecting.  We have lots of videos and pictures from today's ventures.  Enjoy! 

I did about 83 miles today. Here's a link to the map of miles tracked after we got lost. I haven't totaled the mileage traveled overall yet, just too busy.  "They'll be time enough for counting when the dealing's done".

I met Tom Skinner, who is riding his bicycle across the country, from San Diego to Vermont to raise awareness for veterans with PTSD.  He is carying all his supplies and gear on his bike, inlcuding his PTSD dog!  What a huge load.  He's obviously going slower than I, and is expecting to reach Vermont by July 4th.  We chatted for a while, this is a very different type of bike riding vs. how I'm riding. Check out his photo below.

We ended the day in St. Clair, which is fitting for mother's day.  How did that happen?
Claire took the pucture of a 1956 Ford on Route 66.  We'll miss Route 66 with all its ups and downs and craziness. 










Navigating and Drinking Coffee
World's Largest Rocking Chair



Arlington Road


Tom Skinner - Veteran Riding Across America for PTSD




'56 Ford on Route 66

Perfect End to a Perfect Day

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Dave! Tom Skinner's ride is also humbling - Wish Claire a Happy Mother's day she's awesome... ~Vic

    ReplyDelete