Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 31 - Shuffle Off to Buffalo

Another great day, 95 miles to Alexander, NY.  With a bit of a tail wind I passed by Buffalo quickly taking US Route 20.  Here's the map of today's ride.

In Brocton, NY, this morning a courteous driver allowed me to pass before she made a right turn.  This is unusual as most drivers try to take the turn before the cyclist gets to the corner and many times the cyclist needs to brake.  We both ended up in the gas station store a few minutes later, and I thanked her for her courtesy.  Tina said she is also a cyclist so she understands.  When I told her I was riding for MS, she said this part of New York state has the highest MS rate in the country.  She also made a donation on the spot and will tell her friends who are living with MS I'm riding for them.  Thanks Tina!

A little later this morning in Spring Creek, NY while I was refueling in the SAG vehicle, Ivar Lupkin and his dad, Igor came by to meet us after reading the sign on the back of the car. They also were very supportive and then Dave Notaro, from the bank also stopped by. They all made donations to the MS Society, in support of my efforts.  Igor who was an opera singer in his younger days sang Carmen for us on the sidewalk.  Ivar, congratulations on celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary.  Thank you Igor, Ivar, and Dave!

My colleague from Buffalo,Vince Connors, reached out to meet us but I was moving too far, too fast.  I had already blew past Buffalo and was heading east at a good clip.  Sorry I missed you Vince, but thanks for reaching out.





Very Nice Pink Elephant
Throwback Ice Cream Parlor
The End Point for Today's Ride

5 comments:

  1. You Guys are awesome I have enjoyed this trip.
    This is the first thing I do each morning. I will miss you guys next week

    Barb W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave & Claire: Hard to believe you're in New York already! Seems like just yesterday we were rolling out from Legoland! Keep up the great work and ride safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave,

    The ice cream stand you show above is less than a mile from my house. Sorry we couldn't meet, but I completely understand. Good luck with the rest of the ride, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince,

      If I had known how close we were, I would have stopped long enough to say hello. Sorry we couldn't get together last night. The end of the includes many tasks and Claire couldn't spend another minute in the car.

      Dave

      Delete
  4. Wow from our perspective you flew across country! Glad the weather is agreeing with the end of your ride - Keep us posted the closer you come to the Cape would love to meet you at the end! ~Vic

    ReplyDelete