Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Monday, April 9, 2012

Claire and Dave Arrive in San Diego for Final Preparations

Claire and I arrived in San Diego!  All went well with the final east coast preparations. My final Cape Cod training ride felt good and is the last time I'll be riding these roads until the last day of the journey. 


To the Finish Line at Old Silver Beach




 

Southbound on the Shining Sea Bike Path in Falmouth







The bike was carefully dismantled and packaged for the plane ride.  It arrived safely and was subsequently re-assembled with no issues!!  Claire shed a tear when leaving, she's a little overwhelmed by all of this, and has a little fear for my safety.  The enormity of this really comes out when looking down from the airplane at 35,000 feet to see the landscape rushing by at 500 miles an hour and seeing nothing but wilderness for the majority of the time.




Bike is Boxed and Ready to Fly








3 comments:

  1. where do I put my dollar down to help you out ...great to see you on the roads ... make it happen and make it work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. There is an MS society secure link for tax deductible donations on the right side of my web page.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave and Claire, Greetings from NoCarolina! It sounds like you're doing very well. So glad you had a great send off. Hope you don't run into too many road ends. I'll bet you're sleeping well. Be safe. We're with you. Love, Helen and family

    ReplyDelete