Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Day 5 Arizona

Where do I start? First, thanks to all who have left comments and send their good wishes. It really helps while we are out on this journey as each day brings its own challenges.

We started on the Arizona / Nevada border today.  We got a donation from Gordon who we met while returning the key to the office.  I found that the rear tire on my bike had a rip in the sidewall and the tube was bulging out. I hit several objects yesterday on the hugh downhill in Nevada, so I'm sure that is how it happened.  It rained for the first hour or so on today's ride and to make the start interesting I had to go over a 3,600 foot pass (Union pass) from 500 ft.  This was a 12 mile climb in my lowest gear and took almost 2 hours.  I was extremely happy to get over the pass, as you might imagine.

We also got a donation from our waitress, Debbie, at Caroline's Country cafe.  People love the story.  Then, in the parking lot I met Jason, a Red Sox fan.  Can you believe it? What are the odds?

Through Golden Valey and over Coyote pass,  then down into Kingman AZ.  Of course I managed to find another dead end / dirt road, but Claire was there to rescue me.  Then back on Route 66 for a few more miles. We did about 65 miles today.  We staying on an Indian Reservation in a native American  lodge, in Peach Springs. It is actually very nice. We're about 20 miles south of the Grand Canyon.

All in all, it was a good day! The landscape keeps getting more majestic, the mountains are amazing.











10 comments:

  1. Those RED SOX's fan show up in the strangest places. ! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go Dave! Glad to see you overcoming these challenges! Looks beautiful out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing journey Dave! We all look forward every day tour your updated and videos...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ur doing amazing Dave ! We love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg dad you are my hero!!! Love that u are making these awesome climbs,
    That u are staying at a reservation
    Getting donations and meeting sox fans!
    You guys are die hard! We head to your house tonight
    Call me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Dave Go!! cant wait to see what comes next

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your journey is already amazing. Climbing those mountains is just too much! It seems like your knee is holding up better than your tires luckily. We are following you and cheering you on, Enjoy every minute of your ride! ...max

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave when is your eta for South BEnd IN? I see that is on your route. I will be out there in mid May.

    Steve K

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're amazing Dave and Claire! Sounds and looks like you're doing so well. Hang in there! We're rooting and praying for you. Rest when you can. Love, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What you are doing is amazing! Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete