Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 4 Navada

Today was another good day, we started in Essex CA and ended in Laughlin NV.  Getting to another state was a phychological boost.  To get started we had to back track ~25 miles from Needles CA, where we stayed back to Essex in the desert.  I followed old Route 66 for several miles until it stopped and then took local route 95 north to Nevada.  There was a more direct route coming up from Google maps but I was suspicious and sent Claire on a scouting mission and sure enough, it ended up as a dirt road.  The dirt roads are really sand roads here, impossible to traverse on a road bike. She saved me hours of frustration, I love that woman.

We had a cloudy day which kept the temps down a little.  While Claire was waiting for me in Laughlin at the bottom of a 10 mile down hill..(well, watch the video).  
Did about 65 miles today, climbed 2000' and dropping down to 500 feet above sea level, tomorrow have a 3,500 foot pass to cross. My tracking link is still giving me fits. Maybe I will get it right tomorrow..

All is well.

The first video I couldn't access so here's the You Tube link:







7 comments:

  1. Keep rolling, Dave. One state down . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your epic adventure is great to follow and is a motivator for all of us! You're lucky to have Claire as your scout - enjoy the day...

    ~Vic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Vic on his comment. The daily updates are fantastic - you and Claire are doing an oustanding job. Stay safe out there on those tight roads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Dave & Claire. Thinking of you daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up, Dave! Best of luck! - Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are The Best Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw you at Caroline Country Diner this morning. Over heard you talking about what you were doing and saw your website on the back of your car. Think your doing something wonderful. Keep up the good work. Well be following you.

    ReplyDelete