Here's the story of why I'm riding across america

Hello, I’m Dave Nowlan. I cycled from Encinitas, Calif., to Cape Cod, Mass. from April 22 through May 28, 2012 in an effort to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), and to help fund research for a cure. My wife, Claire, and daughter, Julia, both have MS. I broke my back in a sledding accident almost three years ago; I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have recovered without being paralyzed and was able to ride this long cross continent adventure. Click on this link to “my story” for more information and why I continue riding. Here is a link to Information about MS

Friday, April 27, 2012

Day 6 Aero Bars

Today was a very good day.  Faced with some headwinds, I put aero bars on my bike.  Thanks to Aaron, my son, for lending them for the journey.  They made quite a difference, they are designed to cut the wind like a downhill skier does with their hands out in front.  With the higher altitude the weather is much cooler, I wore my jacket until after lunch.  We met a woman who said they had snow here last week.  The mountains are even more beautiful today than yesterday. What a country.

Followed Rt 66 east to Seligman AZ for lunch.  Then it was time to cycle on the interstate (I40).  It is allowed in Arizona and not a problem as there are no other roads.  It felt safer than on many parts of Rt 66 due to shoulders you can't ride on, so I was sharing the road with cars passing at 65 MPH with little room to spare.

I want to give Claire kudos for being the best support staff imaginable. Until now she has been the unsung hero, but not any more (see her singing video below).  She organizes my nutrition (drinks, Gu, bars, gorp, you name it.) she is aways there to give me a boost up the hills.  It is always a welcome site to come over a hill and see Claire and her support vehicle waiting there to refuel me, swap out apparel, and provide a place to rest for a minute. She also gets the hotel rooms, does the laundry, picks up anything I need (zip ties today). I couldn't be doing this amazing journey without her support. Thanks Claire.

I put in 78 miles today arriving at Williams AZ (elevation 6,766 ft) around 5 PM. The last 18 miles were up hill.










5 comments:

  1. Looking great, Dad. We are thinking about you and are so proud of you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a spectacular weekend Dave and Claire. Video clips have been great to watch. Love the variety with that singing cameo Claire. Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep sing Claire ! ! You two are awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were out in the Sedona/Flagstaff/Grand Canyon area 2 years ago. Amazing changes in scenery from desert, to mountains. Very impressive riding up those hills. Love the videos. I think Aaron should let you keep the aero bars as a present. Good luck today to both you and Claire.
    - Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told Greg you would probably make it to San Jon. Sorry, it's not much to see. We are still talking about how much we enjoyed visiting with you and Claire! Safe travels, friends.

    ReplyDelete